Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Ava's Birth Story

Okay...so I know Ava is almost 3 months old...yikes!! But I wanted to make sure I wrote down her birth story so I could remember how it went each time we tell her on her birthday:) Hehe. So here goes...

4:00am
I woke up thinking my water broke. I think it did...but it wasn't what I expected...so I got up and figured I'd walk around for a while and see what would happen.

Brad: "What's wrong?"
Katy: "I think my water just broke...but it's ok...go back to sleep."

Well...as quickly as I "thought" my water broke...I started to have stomach cramps...(i.e. contractions). Again..I figured..."That's weird...stomach cramps." So of course I text my on call nurse (and good friend ) Julie to see what was up. She said that's all normal and it was part of early labor. OK.

5:00am
Brad: "Are you okay?"
Katy: "Yeah...just having bad stomach cramps. I'm fine. I'm going to go watch tv. Go back to sleep."

So I decied to go watch tv in the basement and deal with my "stomach cramps"...and call my mom:) I first text my mom and sisters to see if they were up. Both Megan and Colleen text back in like 5 seconds...haha! It was so weird! So I knew I could call. So I called and talked to my mom and she said..."you're in labor." But I had yet to be convinced. These "stomach cramps" hurt but were bearable...that was until I started breathing harder and having to take breaks in between conversations. My mom told me to call the dr. and go to hospital. fine.


6:00am
Katy: "Hi...hee hee whoooooo... I think I'm having contractions, but I don't know...hee hee whooooo...if I should come in."
Dr.: "How far apart are your contractions?"
Katy: "Like...hee hee whooooo..2 minutes."
Dr.: "Honey? You're in labor. You need to come in."
Katy: "Ok."


6:15am
Brad: "Are you okay?"
Katy: "Yeah....uggggggggg....I'm going to take a shower."
Brad: "Are you sure?"
Katy: "Yeah....uggggggggg....Julie said it would help."


So I shower...and then Brad showers...and I'm contracting...but in denial. Until finally Brad says..."We're not having our baby in the car...we're going." I think he got sick of me saying "I'm fine" as I was down on all fours rocking back and forth.

7:00am
Check in at Northwest Hospital. We were the first ones there so we got first dibs on the rooms....the huge suite!! Perfect for our huge family to visit!!

    

Labor progressed quickly. I was 4 1/2 cm when we checked in...and somewhere in between 6 and 7 when I FINALLY got my epidural...aaaaaaaand then it ran out. Needless to say...I progressed from 7 to 10 cm within the hour...and feeling the contractions actually helped me push. I pushed for 35 minutes and Avaleen Pancake Boal was born at 11:57am...6lbs 7oz and 18 inches long! Perfect! Brad was unbelievable and the dr and nurses said I did great! The family was in the room within minutes...as I found out later... all ears were pressed hard against the hospital door listening intently...they even heard Ava's first cry! And boy does she have a set of lungs:)

It was so nice to have family and friends there to greet our little Ava bean! Our entire experience at the hospital was great...especially Nurse Mabel...she rocked. So there you have it. And I've heard the next baby comes in half the time...so when those "stomach cramps" start...maybe I'll take it a little more seriously:)




Coming Soon:
7 years together! Say what?!








   

5 comments:

  1. I hear YOU in all that you write! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that I'm a part of Ava's birth story! You were amazing that day and she is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you were part of it!! Hello! You were awesome...and still are!!!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful!! Love it...she'll love this story every time you tell it :)

    ReplyDelete