Sunday, May 20, 2012

Big, Fat, Chocolate Chip Cookies

So I love baking. 
And one of my family's favorite thing I make are cookies. Big, Fat chocolate chip cookies! I actually got the recipe from Tyler Florence a while ago from Food Network. For some reason my family is convinced it's some "secret" recipe because they say theirs NEVER turn out like mine. Well I'm here to tell you there is nothing secret! Maybe I add a few extra chips here and there...sometimes I sift the dry ingredients...sometime I don't! But the point is...it's a pretty basic recipe:) Sunday is a great day for doing things like this so I figured I could blog about it! So here goes... (Watch carefully...)...

Ingredients:
2 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 bags of chips (your choice)
1 tsp. secret ingredient...hee hee...
(just kidding)

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Sift (if you want) all the dry ingredients and set aside.

Mix together butter, sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Slowly add in dry ingredients until fully combined. Stir in with spatula or large spoon your bags of chips. I usually use one bag of chocolate and one bag of white chocolate...although I really like it with peanut butter chips too! Then it looks like this:

I like to make BIG cookies...so I use a good size spoon and make slightly larger than "golf ball sized" dollops on the cookie sheet. Like this:

Then..I put it in the oven! (imagine that). I bake them usually for abut 14 minutes...however...our oven runs HOT! So it all depends on your oven AND the size of your cookies. Just watch them carefully the first time. I like them a little "underdone" so they are soft and chewy. Brad likes them a little "overdone"...he likes the crispy edges. It all depends on what you like. Then...ta da! You have your basic...big, fat chocolate chip cookie! Pretty easy huh? Let cool on a cooling rack and enjoy! I can't WAIT to bake with Ava and pass on the "secret" recipe to her! hee hee...Seriously mom...there is no secret:)


Now here is my question to all of you...who knows how to bake bread? I've tried and have yet to succeed...the whole "rising" thing just never happens...it always remains a big blob. Any suggestions or good recipes??

Coming Soon:
Baby Baby! My cousin had twins!

4 comments:

  1. I use the exact same recipe except use shortening instead of butter! And apparently it's a Longhurst family secret recipe too! Yum...now I want cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really! I wonder if they would taste much different! I'm going to try it...so much for keeping a secret huh?? hee hee...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i keep trying to bake bread. even with a bread machine i suck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have tried to use your recipe and they really don't come out as good as yours! You must have a special touch. Maybe it's time to try again. :)

    ReplyDelete